Welcome to the first post in my weekly “Handy Health Hacks” Series! The Pharmacist in me cannot be contained. I love to share my knowledge on health topics!
On Tuesdays I will be posting short articles on easy wellness tips that you can use in your life. Topics will include things like nutrition, mental health, and exercise.So here it is, my first Handy Health Hack…
On days when my energy is lacking and I’m feeling lethargic from eating and drinking too much junk, I love to drink a hot lemon water. It can be used as a detox drink because it stimulates digestion and provides hydration. A combination that promotes clearance of toxins from the body.
Lemon boosts my mood and gives me energy. Drinking lemon water is a simple way to make a healthy choice and helps me get back on track with a healthy lifestyle. It is easy, tastes good, and feels good!
Lemon and lemon oil have long been known for their medical and health benefits.
It is commonly used orally, like in this hot lemon water, diffused, or mixed with other ingredients for topical use.
How to Make Hot Lemon Water
1 Mug (8-10 oz) of Hot Water
2 Tbsp Lemon Juice or Juice of 1/2 Lemon
It’s that easy!
Don’t forget to use your favorite mug!
Iced Lemon Water
Lemon water is also delicious cold. Just mix lemon juice to taste in a glass of ice water. In the afternoons, I like to fill a tall glass with ice, a tablespoon of lemon juice, and top it off with sparkling water. Add mint for an additional boost if desired. I can’t wait for summer when our fresh mint grows abundantly!
Cold, sparkling lemon water is refreshing, light, and feels special without added sugar, artificial ingredients, or alcohol.
Other Health Benefits of Lemon
(Information from Natural Medicines Database and The Complete Book of Essential Oils & Aromatherapy)
Disclaimer- this is not intended to replace medical advise, merely to provide basic awareness about the various uses of lemon and lemon oil and how versatile it can be.
- Aids digestion and prevents constipation
- Anti-inflammatory actions due to the antioxidants
- Contains antioxidants to reduce oxidative stress on cells
- A tasty way to drink more water!
- Citric acid in the lemon juice can help prevent kidney stones by binding with the calcium that forms kidney stones
- Lemon oil helps clear liver congestion to clean out the liver
- Lemon oil is mood boosting
- No drug or herbal interactions, so it is safe to use
- Provides trace amounts of folate and potassium
- Stimulates the lymphatic system, digestive system, and diuresis (urine flow)
- Vitamin C improves immune function and prevents scurvy
Lemon water, served hot or cold, is an easy, healthy way to boost your energy, feel good about your self, and stimulate digestion. Make yourself one today to give yourself a jump start to health!